Mental illness and distress is common and can happen to anyone.
Just Ask. Just Listen is part of the Like Minds, Like Mine campaign aimed at helping people understand mental distress and reduce stigma around it.
These resources are designed to provide information for family/whānau and friends of people experiencing mental distress.
Use the campaign materials to promote to your team that if someone they know is experiencing mental distress to remember the following:
- You don’t have to know all the answers.
- Talking about it can be awkward. Do it anyway.
- Calling them names doesn’t help.
- Don’t leave them out - keep them involved.
- Just ask what you can do. Just Listen.
You can find posters, tips flyers, email signatures, shareable videos and more promoting these messages that are appropriate for use in your workplace. See the links below.
Also see the Open Minds resources from the Mental Health Foundation to help conversations in your workplace.