There are many steps businesses can take to reduce their people's sun exposure while at work - and to help them be SunSmart away from work.
- Plan work so people aren’t outside for long periods when the sun’s rays are most fierce (generally 10am to 4pm during daylight saving), or make sure they are working under shade.
- Make uniforms SunSmart – include wide-brimmed hats, wrap-around sunglasses and long-sleeved, collared shirts.
- Allow people time to put on sunscreen before heading outside to work (or for walking meetings, etc).
- Ensure managers lead by example by role modelling SunSmart behaviour.
- Send a daily email/alert to staff with the day’s Sun Protection Alert.
- Add the Sun Protection Alert to your own website or intranet for staff to see.
- Put SunSmart messages in staff communications – including information such as the need to be SunSmart even on cool and cloudy days, and reminders to get a regular skin check.
- If you have outdoor workers, consider funding or subsidising annual skin checks.