These actions are about how your organisation can help your employees help themselves to sit less and move more.
- Promote the health benefits of sitting less by displaying Sit less, move more resources in break areas, and putting up posters where workers can see them.
- Encourage staff to schedule stand-up breaks in their daily calendars.
- Encourage people to keep a pair of comfortable shoes at work for standing or walking meetings.
- Introduce staff to Deskercise, a humourous take on making the most of every opportunity to move at work.
- Promote physically active ways to get to work, including using public transport. Develop an Active Travel Plan for your organisation (see the Greater Wellington Regional Council’s plan as an example).
- Arrange for people to speak on health and activity-related topics or run workshops to educate and inspire people to get active.
- Encourage and help your team organise a lunchtime walking group – help map out nearby walking and running routes.
- Encourage people to take part in national/local and/or corporate events, such as Walk2Work Day or Go by Bike Day, Relay for Life, etc.
- Consider offering discounts to gyms or other sporting activities.
- Organise for someone to teach interested staff a new sport or physical activity – consider subsidising it or offering it free.
- Download/order and distribute the Ministry of Health’s Healthy Eating, Active Living advice booklet for adults.