A focus on diabetes awareness and prevention runs for the whole month of November, taking in World Diabetes day on November 14.
With type 2 diabetes still on the rise, workplaces can play an important role in helping people become aware of their risk and take steps to reduce it.
This November, consider doing some (or all!) of the following:
- Encouraging staff to take the interactive online ‘Know your Risk’ questionnaire.
- Challenging your team to take the Fitbit Challenge.
- See what's on around you on Fitbit MoveMeant Day.
- Get involved with Diabetes Action Month activities that are happening in your area.
- Distributing the ‘Know Your Risk’ pamphlet to staff to help them discover their own risk level for diabetes. You can download them from the Diabetes NZ website, or for printed copies email Diabetes NZ.
- Putting up Diabetes Action Month posters in staff cafeterias and meeting/break out rooms where appropriate.
- Invite staff to contact Diabetes NZ with regards to diabetes support groups and other information.
- Generally encouraging staff to visit diabetes.org.nz for information about diabetes, how to prevent or manage it.